Trevor Calkins, creator and author of Power of Ten, has spent his adult life studying how children develop numeracy. As teacher and administrator, he thoughtfully observed children struggling with numeracy skills, who "just can't do math". Equally, teachers expressed frustration about their inability to "get through to the kids".
After years of observation, questioning, and studying, Trevor concluded that many of the old methods of teaching numeracy and mathematics were not working; new approaches were required.
Power of Ten was the result of his effort.
Combining his experience with formal study of current brain research, Trevor has developed a system which guides teachers and give students a fresh and exciting way to develop numeracy skills.
- B.Ed (U. of Calgary, 1969), M.Ed (U. of Victoria, 1983)
- Classroom Teacher ( elementary, middle school, and high school)
- School Principal (elementary)
- Sessional instructor at the University of Victoria since 1987- 2000
- British Columbia Mathematics Teacher of the Year (1989)
- University Of Victoria Distinguished Alumni Award (1998)
- Consultant to the B.C. Ministry of Education on the revised Primary Program (2000)
- "Learning is Easy", Prime Areas , Winter 1993-94
- "Off the Track, Children Thrive in Ungraded Primary Classrooms", The School Administrator, May 1992
- "Memories are Made of This: Learning Number Facts - A Continuing Struggle", Vector , Fall 1998
- Co-author of Journeys in Math series
- Creator of Power of Ten
- Co-author of Mastering the Basics series, grades 4-8
- Creator of Mathematics as a Teachable Moment series
Recent Speaking Engagements
- BC Primary Teachers' Convention (2009)
- Northwest Mathematics Conference, Portland (2008)
- Northwest Mathematics Conference in Whistler – Opening Keynote on Problem Solving (2009)
- Workshop Presenter BC Special Education Teachers’ Cross Currents Convention (2009)
- Alberta Learning Assistance Teachers (2009)
- Central Alberta Consortium (2008/2009/2010)
- Calgary Regional Consortium (2008/2009/2010)
- Manitoba Districts(2008/2009/2010) – Sunrise, Portage La Prairie, Park West, Red River Valley, Prairie Spirit
- Alberta Districts (/20082009/2010) – Calgary, Edmonton, Parkland
- Saskatoon Power of Ten Conference (2009)
- British Columbia Districts (/2008/2009/2010) – Coquitlam, Victoria, Saanich, Sooke, Cranbrook, Trail, Surrey
- Ontario Math Teachers’ Conference (2008)
- Ottawa School District (2008)
- Washington State Districts (2008/2009) - Mukilteo
Check the conference schedule for more information and a more detailed schedule of conferences and workshops in districts and schools, possibly in your area.
Retired from teaching, Trevor now devotes his professional life to continuing work on Power of Ten and to disseminating information and material to teachers, schools, school districts, and parents. He lives with his wife Maureen in Victoria, BC. They have two grown children, and one grandson. In his rare moments of spare time, Trevor enjoys reading, music, hiking, and a good game of bridge.
You can contact him at